press bureau tv

Tottenham Hotspur v Wolverhampton Wanderers 19-20

Spurs hunted down by Wolves

Written By: Robert Halter

Since their 2018 promotion, Wolverhampton Wanderers were unbeaten in each of their eight Premier League games in London, prior to their fixture at the Tottenham Hotspur stadium, beginning of March 2020. From a miss placed throw in by Ben Davies, racing through, Adama Traore, dragged his shot wide of the left post in the seventh minute. But it was Spurs that struck first in the thirteenth minute, which started with a threaded pass from Harry Winks to Steven Bergwijn down the middle of the park, before Giovani Lo Celso found Serge Aurier on the right, whose low cross was dummied by Lucas Moura, and as Dele Alli struck the ball against Rui Patricio, the rebound was put in from Bergwijn, into the middle of the goal. In the nineteenth minute, through a forward pass by Aurier, the ball was struck over from Davinson Sanchez, on the turn. Midway through the first half, Wolves captain, Conor Coady found Traore on the right, whose low cross was slashed over by Diogo Jota. But on twenty seven minutes, Wolves drew level as Ruben Vinagre ran down the left flank, and as his cross deflected off Japhet Tanganga, the ball was slotted in from Matt Doherty, who beat stand in keeper, Paulo Gazzaniga, from eight yards out. On the half hour mark from a corner by Lo Celso, a header by Moura was caught by Patricio. In the forty third minute, from a Joao Moutinho corner, a header by Romain Saiss, flashed wide to the right. Before the half time break, after an attempt by Ben Davies was blocked, Bergwijn combined with Winks, and a low cross from Lo Celso, was met with an over head kick by Alli which struck Patricio. But the Lilywhites went ahead in first half stoppage time, when after a flowing move from Davies, there was link up play with Bergwijn and Alli, before a curling left footed strike by Aurier, was bent past Patricio, from the right side of the box into the top left corner. Four minutes into the second half, after Davies appended Doherty, a free kick on the right by Moutinho, flew over from a powerful header by Jota. In the fifty fifth minute, a looping cross by Davies was nodded by Alli, past the right post. But on fifty seven minutes, Wolves drew level, as Traore shrugged off a challenge by Winks in midfield, he charged forward, before finding Raul Jimenez, whose lay off found Doherty, whose ball into the area bounced off Gazzaniga, and was then slotted in from Jota, into the bottom left corner from very close range. The first booking went to Lo Celso for a late challenge on Traore. On sixty six minutes through an assist by Ruben Neves, after striding forward, Traore struck the ball past the right post. The next yellow card went to Willy Boly for a foul on Alli. In the seventy third minute, Wolves turned the game around, as Jota charged through from his own half, with both Eric Dier and Davinson Sanchez backing off, before the ball was played through to Jimenez, who turned past Tanganga, before curling a shot into the left side of the goal. Wolves then took off Traore for Pedro Neto, before the Lilywhites replaced Tanganga with Tanguy Ndombele, after which Wolves switched Jota with Leander Dendoncker, followed by a later Spurs substitution of Gedson Fernandes for Aurier. Next in the book was Davies for sliding into Doherty, which followed by a caution for Winks as he talked back to referee, Stuart Attwell. On eighty nine minutes, Jimenez combined with Neto, before striking an effort high over to the left. In stoppage time, Spurs brought on Troy Parrott for Davies before Daniel Podence appeared for Wolves, as the match winner, Jimenez made way. A last booking was given to Dendoncker for a bad challenge on Lo Celso. At the final score, the 3-2 victory for Wolverhampton Wanderers at Tottenham Hotspur, meant that Wolves went a place above Spurs in the Premier League table into sixth position, with two points separating both teams in the table.